Friday, April 16, 2010

THE TROUGH: POSSIBLE FIRST MEAL


Before I get started, let me clear the air. No, I am not in London. No, I am not sure when, or if, I will be able to get there. No, I did not think my trip would be jeopardized by a volcano in Iceland. There. Do you feel better now? No, I do not feel better yet.

Today, we are having lunch at The Fish Palace in East London near the Brixton Tube. The Fish Palace is a wonderful fish and chip shop. The décor is nothing to write home about, but everyone raves about the fish here. I am dying to have the fish and chip special here, but given the situation, I am opting for the char-broiled, Icelandic Salmon instead. The salmon today comes lightly coated with a thin layer of volcanic ash. It is a little difficult to see it on the plate due to the light coating of ash on the plates, seats, floor, streets, etc. The meat is succulent and moist but unfortunately has a slight ashy aftertaste. I couldn’t even wash the taste out of my mouth with the gray water I was served. I realize that this is a fictitious restaurant and that I must pretend to be in London. Even so, the meal was totally unsatisfactory, as was the service. I might as well have lunched in Pompey.

So far British cuisine is living up to it’s reputation. Let’s hope tomorrow’s meals will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment