Thursday, April 1, 2010

THE TROUGH - BRITISH CUISINE

British cuisine. I mentioned before that the British have no real cuisine. Maybe I was a bit hasty. I have been goggling again and have found a few dishes that are definitely British. Actually, they sound more like rites of passage rather than dishes. Remind me to put them on my “must try” list for the trip.

The Classic Full English Breakfast – Officially, it is five courses and includes, juice, porridge, fried eggs, meat (bacon, kipper, deviled kidney) toast, jam and tea. You can bet we won’t see this at our hotels. Pretty sure we can expect tea, toast, eggs, bacon, and a healthy helping of baked beans.

The Ploughman’s Lunch – This is definitely the working man’s lunch. It consists of a wedge of cheese, bread, and a pickle. Next time I get ready to plough the south 40, I will definitely get this.

So much for the normal stuff. I really have some concerns about some of the other “traditional dishes”. Bangers and Mash. Sounds like the hot dog I had once served with two scoops of mashed potatoes on top. Better yet, it sounds like some kind of ghetto dog (bangers). Either way, a sausage and mashed potatoes is nothing to write home about. How about digging in to the gelatinous mass they call Eel Pie made with eel brood? Can I get you some Spotted Dick? What about a Toad-in-the-Hole? Black Pudding? Blood Sausages? Last but not least, Bubble and Squeak. Excuse me, isn’t that what you do hours after the meal?

Is there such a thing as British cuisine? You be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment